All About Abby

My photo
I'm a senior Management major/Public Relations minor from Cincinnati about to graduate in May from Ohio Northern University!

Monday, May 2, 2011

Run for the Roses

Yesterday, I ran in the Third Annual Run for the Roses at Ohio Northern University’s Dial-Roberson Stadium. This was my third year competing in the 5K part of the event, and I finished in 103rd place with a time of 26 minutes and five seconds. I was proud of myself for being able to keep a decent pace the whole time, as I had not been working out like I used to last year and the weekends festivities were a little out of hand). However, I was more proud of myself for running and donating money to a good cause.
Run for the Roses is a race in loving memory of Angela Badertscher and in honor of Kim Badertscher, both of whom attended ONU and were diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. Kim graduated from the ONU Athletic Training program then became a clinical outreach Athletic Trainer for the university. Angela lost her battle with Cystic Fibrosis about three years ago at the young age of 27.
The race is entitled Run for the Roses because children with Cystic Fibrosis often call the condition “65 Roses.” Last year, the event was able to raise $9,500 in the Badertscher’s name to a Cystic Fibrosis Organization of their choice. This year, the goal was to be able to donate over $10,000.
The ONU Athletic Training program did a great job with planning and organizing the race. I really hope they reach over $10,000 this year, and I am glad I was able to support the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment